Ales Obrez, DDS, DMD, PhD
Ales Obrez, DMD, PhD is an Associate Professor of Dentistry in the Department of Restorative Dentistry, College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago. He received his DMD degree from The University of Ljubljana Medical School, Faculty of Stomatology (Rep. of Slovenia) in 1981. His postgraduate training in Prosthodontics (1985) and his PhD (Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology, 1992) were completed at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
From 1992 to 1994 he served as an Assistant Professor in the Facial Pain Clinic, School of Dentistry, The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Dr. Obrez is an active member of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, International and American Association of Dental Research (AADR), American Dental Education Association and the American Association of the University Teachers of Orofacial Pain. The clinical and research interests of Dr. Obrez are in physiology and pathophysiology of the masticatory system, including dental sleep medicine. These interests are reflected in his specialized patient care, research, numerous national and international presentations and publications, mentoring student research and in teaching of the undergraduate, graduate and continuing education courses focused on Dental Sleep Medicine, Prosthodontics, Dental occlusion and Temporomandibular disorders.
In 2014 Dr. Obrez, in addition to his continuous academic involvement, joined Dr. Jeon’s dental practice to complement his clinical practice by focusing on management of patients diagnosed with sleep apnea. The extensive academic involvement in the area of sleep apnea provides Dr. Obrez with the unique expertise and passion to manage patients diagnosed with this debilitating disorder that may significantly affect their lives.
- University of Ljubljana (Rep. of Slovenia), DMD
- University of Illinois at Chicago, Specialty training in Prosthodontics
- University of Illinois at Chicago, PhD (Anatomy and Cell Biology)
- University of Michigan, Orofacial Pain Clinic (Assistant Professor)
- Associate Professor with Tenure, College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Member of the Graduate College, University of Illinois at Chicago
- American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- American Association of the University Teachers of Orofacial Pain
- American Dental Education Association
- International and American Association of Dental Research
Lectures and publishes nationally and internationally